GA team is conducting an end to end review of the booking process for both Passenger and Driver of the current GoCatch mobile application.
GoCatch is the client for the student project for User Experience Design Immersive, General Assembly, Summer Sydney 2014
Evaluate the current application, mapping user flows, conduct contextual inquiries, conduct interviews, create empathy map, sketch new ideas and storyboards, define the vision, assemble the deliverable.
Omnigraffle, POP App, Camera, audio recorder, Excel, sharpies & paper.
Michael Shai Hee
INTRODUCTION TO THE PRODUCT
Go Catch is a smartphone taxi booking application, targeted at both passengers and drivers across Australia. The application is distributed via the Apple store, via web downloads and in Blackberry World.
All though there are applications available for Android, Blackberry and Windows mobiles, we will be concentrating our efforts on the iPhone version of this application.
Version: iOS version 3.8.5 (in production).
KICK OFF MEETING
The all team met Ned Moorfield, goCatch co-founder in the goCatch offices. Ned introduced to us the company and set his requirements and expectations. During the meeting we defined the brief for our project and we agreed on the deliverable. (I am not in the picture because I took the photo:)
After the client meeting we created a project plan in order to organize the next weeks. As a team we also set our expectations and our individual development areas.
EVALUATION OF CURRENT APPLICATION
In order to evaluate the current application the goCatch team provided us a test version of the app. In couples we pretended to be passenger and driver and we took snapshots of all the screens, we printed them out and we attached them on the wall in order to understand the passenger and driver interactions.
CONTEXTUAL INQUIRIES PREP
goCatch gave us the opportunity to conduct contextual inquiries, observing drivers and passengers using the application in their natural environment. We wrote the scripts for the interviews and we role-played the scripts in order to test them.
During the contextual inquiries we divided into two groups. Every group had the chance to interview 3 drivers and one passenger. I have also conducted contextual inquiries on my own on another 3 goCatch drivers. After the interview we wrote the transcript and we filled a shared spreadsheet to collect the data.
SCENARIOS AND PAPER PROTOTYPE
I drew a storyboard for the driver Abdul, one of goCatch main personas in order to validate my screens sketches. The team reviewed everyone else’s sketches in order to organize the best solutions in one set of sketches for the driver and one for the passenger.
USER INTERVIEWS & USABILITY TESTING
goCatch organized 6 interviews with passengers and new users. As a team we set the recruitment brief, we wrote the script for the interviews and we created some interactive prototypes. We tested the booking process for the current application, the passenger ideal path and our new ideas.
At the end of the project goCatch received all the following materials:
- competitor feature comparison
- screen by screen in depth analysis document
- recommendations and ideas document
- recommended next steps
- risk register
- contextual inquiry results
- interview questions
- raw interview results
At the end of the project we can share our stats:
- 4 students
- 76 hours
- 8 passenger interviews
- 6 driver interviews
- 65 pages of deliverables
- 2 presentations
- 15 people attending the presentations